Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gardening 2/23/2012

This year I making good progress on my planting inside. I just need to get my cold house done so I can put plants I started in there to finish before planting outside. I still have my cold frame. I have had that for a long time and it has held up rather well with the wind and hail here in Kansas. All of the cabbage has germinated and is looking good. The chad has also germinated today. I am hoping the set up I have now will keep them from getting too spindly. That is a problem I have had before when starting them inside. I have different lights this year and so far they are going good. I am not sure I will grow start lettuce inside like I used to but will direct seed them under a row cover. I had problems with my row covers blowing over from the strong wind and had gotten some rebar to side poke into the soil and put the poles over. The plans I had just told you to stick the PVC poles in the ground but I could not get them to stay. I will put pictures up later after I progress with them.


I am going to try to do some weeding in my herb garden and get that looking nice. I want to transplant some asparagus that I plant on the edge thing is would look nice because of it lacy look and it is a plant to keep for years in one place but it has actually been a hindrance in working the garden. I will plant strawberries this year in the space which is a small strip.

The cabbage that I planted a couple days later germinated the other day and are going well. The Swiss chard germinated yesterday and seem to be growing well.

The American Black currant is a little more iffy. The germination of this plant is around 4 weeks but since I use the under-heat method I am hoping to be sooner. You normally do not want to grow currant by seed because they will not be the same as the parent you got the seed from . The seeds I are from wild currants so they have not been cultivated. These will be planted in the wood look and shaded by cedars. American Black Currants do not grow naturally in Kansas so I am not sure they will grow.  Three states surrounding Kansas -Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska have American Black Currants. It might be because there are not pine or cedar trees that normally grow in Kansas although introduced Cedars since to be doing extremely well. This is mostly because in many areas fire do not sweep through the areas like they did in  the 1800 and earlier.

I should be getting the trees I ordered in the middle of March. I have ordered 25 Black Walnuts, 25 Eastern Red cedar-Bessey and 25 Rocky Mountain Juniper. The walnuts and juniper are new additions but I think they will do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment