Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Four Species Added to Kansas Forest Service Conservation Planting List


I was elated when I discovered they added new species to the Kansas Forest Service. I ordered my Osage oranges (hedge or Bois d'Arc) trees to continue the windbreak around the home,gardens and livestock areas. I really wanted to order all of the new species but I knew their would be not way I would be able to care for 144 new trees and shrubs so I went with the Elderberry bundle this year.

I ordered a bundle of 17 and will plant them along the woodlot and windbreak for lower windbreak coverage and food for the wild birds/animals. I think the Persimmon will be next year if still offered but not sure where the plantings will be. The Kansas Forest Service’s Conservation Tree Planting Program offers tree and shrub seedlings, as well as other items for use in conservation plantings and is a great way to add to your farm or property as long as you are able to follow the guidelines for usage. Plantings may function as wildlife habitat, windbreaks, wood lots, timber plantations, or Christmas tree farms, among others but cannot be resold or used for landscaping. They offer a couple of mixed species bundles for making a bird feeding area if you are interested in such an endeavor.

The Tree trail: Persommons

No comments:

Post a Comment